Topic: DB2 for LUW
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee has been a DB2 for LUW client for years, but there were certain queries executed by their data analysts that would not run in a timely manner (taking many hours to complete). When DB2 10.5 was in Beta, after hearing about the new BLU Acceleration technology available, BCBS of TN decided to test the technology in a test environment. The initial results were outstanding, with queries that took almost an hour to run in the existing DB2 environment completing in seconds. BCBS of TN then installed DB2 10.5 with BLU Acceleration in a large test environment under POWER7 and AIX and worked with their data analyst team of Cognos and SAS users to identify long running, critical queries that could benefit from the BLU Acceleration technology.
As part of this work, the IT department ran workshops with the data analysts to assist them in moving more of their data processing from within Cognos and SAS to DB2 with BLU Acceleration. This has resulted in new data analysis being run to assist with business decisions that will allow BCBS of TN to make better business decisions moving forward and allow data analysts to receive their results in a timely manner. This session will cover the DB2 with BLU Acceleration environment at BCBS of TN and some helpful tips that they discovered to make Cognos and SAS queries run faster with DB2 10.5 with BLU Acceleration. This session will address topics such as:
- The types of data that interests scientists and why traditional row-based databases are not always ideal for these types of queries.
- The types of analysis done by SAS applications and how to best execute these queries with DB2 with BLU Acceleration.
- Data compression results from BCBS of TN's systems on z/OS and AIX compared with DB2 BLU Acceleration that illustrate the benefits of BLU Acceleration compression.
- BCBS of TN's experience with query performance results and administration simplicity on their DB2 BLU environment.
- Real performance results with production queries on production data for complex analytic queries from Cognos and SAS.
Click Here to Download
NOTE: These are only open to members of IDUG. If you are not a member, please CLICK HERE for more information.