DB2 for OS/390 & TCP/IP

[login to unmask email]

DB2 for OS/390 & TCP/IP
Hi all

I'm setting up DB2 for OS/390 AS THE SERVER to use TCP/IP. I've noticed
that in the DB2 Connect Quick Beginnings V7 manual chapter 5 section
"Configuring DB2 Universal Database for OS/390" it indicates that you need
to update sysibm.ipnames to permit inbound IP connections. The DB2 for
OS/390 V6 Admin guide section "Controlling inbound connections that use
TCP/IP protocols" has no mention of updating sysibm.ipnames. Further more
the layout of sysibm.ipnames in the SQL guide only references outbound
information when using IP.

Which one is correct ?

Tom



Mike Turner

Re: DB2 for OS/390 & TCP/IP
(in response to ttaylor@CHUBB.COM)
Tom

SYSIBM.IPNAMES and other Catalog tables must be set up for OUTBOUND
connections from DB2 for OS/390. For INBOUND connections, only the BSDS
entry must be set up using the DSNJU003 DDF statement.

Regards
Mike Turner
Email: [login to unmask email]
Web: www.michael-turner.ltd.uk

Message text written by DB2 Data Base Discussion List
>Hi all

I'm setting up DB2 for OS/390 AS THE SERVER to use TCP/IP. I've noticed
that in the DB2 Connect Quick Beginnings V7 manual chapter 5 section
"Configuring DB2 Universal Database for OS/390" it indicates that you need
to update sysibm.ipnames to permit inbound IP connections. The DB2 for
OS/390 V6 Admin guide section "Controlling inbound connections that use
TCP/IP protocols" has no mention of updating sysibm.ipnames. Further more
the layout of sysibm.ipnames in the SQL guide only references outbound
information when using IP.

Which one is correct ?

Tom<



Mike Holmans

Re: DB2 for OS/390 & TCP/IP
(in response to Mike Turner)
Mike, Tom

Surely you have to have a row in SYSIBM.LOCATIONS which gives a location
name for the DB2 subsystem on the OS/390, because you have to supply that to
Client Configuration Assistant when set up the pc client.

Mike Holmans
Database Consultant
BT Affinitis Computing Partners
[login to unmask email]

This post is solely the opinion of its author and does not necessarily
reflect BT's view

>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: Mike Turner [mailto:[login to unmask email]
>>Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 10:41 AM
>>To: [login to unmask email]
>>Subject: Re: [DB2-L] DB2 for OS/390 & TCP/IP
>>
>>
>>Tom
>>
>>SYSIBM.IPNAMES and other Catalog tables must be set up for OUTBOUND
>>connections from DB2 for OS/390. For INBOUND connections,
>>only the BSDS
>>entry must be set up using the DSNJU003 DDF statement.
>>
>>Regards
>>Mike Turner
>>Email: [login to unmask email]
>>Web: www.michael-turner.ltd.uk
>>
>>Message text written by DB2 Data Base Discussion List
>>>Hi all
>>
>>I'm setting up DB2 for OS/390 AS THE SERVER to use TCP/IP.
>>I've noticed
>>that in the DB2 Connect Quick Beginnings V7 manual chapter 5 section
>>"Configuring DB2 Universal Database for OS/390" it indicates
>>that you need
>>to update sysibm.ipnames to permit inbound IP connections.
>>The DB2 for
>>OS/390 V6 Admin guide section "Controlling inbound
>>connections that use
>>TCP/IP protocols" has no mention of updating sysibm.ipnames.
>>Further more
>>the layout of sysibm.ipnames in the SQL guide only references outbound
>>information when using IP.
>>
>>Which one is correct ?
>>
>>Tom<
>>
>>=======================To change your
>>subscription options or to cancel your subscription visit the
>>DB2-L webpage at http://www.ryci.com/db2-l. The owners of the
>>list can
>>



Mike Turner

Re: DB2 for OS/390 & TCP/IP
(in response to Mike Holmans)
Mike

True. That's what I meant when I referred to other Catalog tables.

Regards
Mike Turner
Email: [login to unmask email]
Web: www.michael-turner.ltd.uk

Message text written by DB2 Data Base Discussion List
>Mike, Tom

Surely you have to have a row in SYSIBM.LOCATIONS which gives a location
name for the DB2 subsystem on the OS/390, because you have to supply that
to
Client Configuration Assistant when set up the pc client.

Mike Holmans
<



David Seibert

Re: DB2 for OS/390 & TCP/IP
(in response to Mike Turner)
You do NOT need rows in SYSIBM.LOCATIONS for incoming requesters.

We have subsystems with empty CDB tables and we can access them just fine
from Client Config Assistant and the other windows tools.

You find the Location name (and the other 2 parms) to be used in CCA
definition in the Master address space when DDF and TCP/IP starts up.
The location needs to be defined in the configuration of TCP/IP and DDF.

The description in SYSIBM.LOCATIONS in appendix D of the SQL reference even
documents that
"Requesters are not defined in this table."
Copyright IBM...
***----------------------------------------------------***
db2 => connect to d609cw09 user bfhdjs1
Enter current password for bfhdjs1:

Database Connection Information

Database server = DB2 OS/390 6.1.1
SQL authorization ID = BFHDJS1
Local database alias = D609CW09

db2 => select * from sysibm.locations

LOCATION LINKNAME IBMREQD PORT
---------------- -------- ------- --------------
------------------------------------------------
0 record(s) selected.

David Seibert
Compuware Corporation File-AID Product Architect
[login to unmask email]



[login to unmask email]

Re: DB2 for OS/390 & TCP/IP
(in response to David Seibert)
Mike

Thanks.... It seems that the V7 db2 connect manuals are wrong

Tom



Mike Turner
<[login to unmask email] To: [login to unmask email]
SERVE.COM> cc:
Sent by: DB2 Data Subject: Re: DB2 for OS/390 & TCP/IP
Base Discussion List
<[login to unmask email]>


12/18/01 05:41 AM
Please respond to DB2
Data Base Discussion
List






Tom

SYSIBM.IPNAMES and other Catalog tables must be set up for OUTBOUND
connections from DB2 for OS/390. For INBOUND connections, only the BSDS
entry must be set up using the DSNJU003 DDF statement.

Regards
Mike Turner
Email: [login to unmask email]
Web: www.michael-turner.ltd.uk

Message text written by DB2 Data Base Discussion List
>Hi all

I'm setting up DB2 for OS/390 AS THE SERVER to use TCP/IP. I've noticed
that in the DB2 Connect Quick Beginnings V7 manual chapter 5 section
"Configuring DB2 Universal Database for OS/390" it indicates that you need
to update sysibm.ipnames to permit inbound IP connections. The DB2 for
OS/390 V6 Admin guide section "Controlling inbound connections that use
TCP/IP protocols" has no mention of updating sysibm.ipnames. Further more
the layout of sysibm.ipnames in the SQL guide only references outbound
information when using IP.

Which one is correct ?

Tom<



http://www.ryci.com/db2-l. The owners of the list can be reached at
[login to unmask email]