Re: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory

Donald Sutton

Re: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory
(in response to Ray H Janes)
Al G is too busy re-inventing himself at the moment, so I guess we will have
to fend for ourselves for now.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ray H Janes [mailto:[login to unmask email]
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 10:00 AM
To: [login to unmask email]
Subject: Re: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory

AMEN!
My management thought I was the nut when in 1988 I showed a
15 year Gas Lease
was not calculated correctly!




Charles Stansell <[login to unmask email]> on 01/04/2000
12:18:57 PM

Please respond to DB2 Data Base Discussion List
<[login to unmask email]>

To: [login to unmask email]
cc: (bcc: Ray H Janes/C/Dallas/Mobil-Notes)
Subject: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory





Hey All,

Listening on TV to the government spokesman for Y2K, he
seems to be
claiming that the reason that the Y2K rollover went so well
was due to
the massive, well coordinated government effort. I think he
said
something about a Y2K office or something. Well I'm sure
they spent lots
of Tax Dollars but it's funny, I don't remember seeing
anybody from the
government here to help me fix code. And all this time I
thought it was
our company management that was making sure things got done,
I had no
idea it was really Uncle Sam that was responsible for what
we had to
accomplish ! To give him credit he did mention the
thousands of us
peons here in the trenches, but it seems they are still
claiming lots of
credit for themselves. Would they have claimed such a large
share of the
blame if it all had hit the fan ?

I fully expect to hear soon that Al Gore personally
invented the Y2K
fixes. That they were his Al-Gore-ithms.

Charles Stansell
http://www.geocities.com/~cicsprog


________________________________________________________________
YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software,
visit:
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.


To change your subscription options or to cancel your
subscription visit the
DB2-L webpage at http://www.ryci.com/db2-l. The owners of
the list can be



To change your subscription options or to cancel your
subscription visit the DB2-L webpage at http://www.ryci.com/db2-l. The
owners of the list can

Charles Stansell

Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory
Hey All,

Listening on TV to the government spokesman for Y2K, he seems to be
claiming that the reason that the Y2K rollover went so well was due to
the massive, well coordinated government effort. I think he said
something about a Y2K office or something. Well I'm sure they spent lots
of Tax Dollars but it's funny, I don't remember seeing anybody from the
government here to help me fix code. And all this time I thought it was
our company management that was making sure things got done, I had no
idea it was really Uncle Sam that was responsible for what we had to
accomplish ! To give him credit he did mention the thousands of us
peons here in the trenches, but it seems they are still claiming lots of
credit for themselves. Would they have claimed such a large share of the
blame if it all had hit the fan ?

I fully expect to hear soon that Al Gore personally invented the Y2K
fixes. That they were his Al-Gore-ithms.

Charles Stansell
http://www.geocities.com/~cicsprog

________________________________________________________________
YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit:
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.



Ray H Janes

Re: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory
(in response to Charles Stansell)
AMEN!
My management thought I was the nut when in 1988 I showed a 15 year Gas Lease
was not calculated correctly!




Charles Stansell <[login to unmask email]> on 01/04/2000 12:18:57 PM

Please respond to DB2 Data Base Discussion List <[login to unmask email]>

To: [login to unmask email]
cc: (bcc: Ray H Janes/C/Dallas/Mobil-Notes)
Subject: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory





Hey All,

Listening on TV to the government spokesman for Y2K, he seems to be
claiming that the reason that the Y2K rollover went so well was due to
the massive, well coordinated government effort. I think he said
something about a Y2K office or something. Well I'm sure they spent lots
of Tax Dollars but it's funny, I don't remember seeing anybody from the
government here to help me fix code. And all this time I thought it was
our company management that was making sure things got done, I had no
idea it was really Uncle Sam that was responsible for what we had to
accomplish ! To give him credit he did mention the thousands of us
peons here in the trenches, but it seems they are still claiming lots of
credit for themselves. Would they have claimed such a large share of the
blame if it all had hit the fan ?

I fully expect to hear soon that Al Gore personally invented the Y2K
fixes. That they were his Al-Gore-ithms.

Charles Stansell
http://www.geocities.com/~cicsprog

________________________________________________________________
YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit:
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.








[login to unmask email]

Re: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory
(in response to Donald Sutton)
Hi,

Good point. To be fair though, the Republicans were ready to come
down hard on Clinton and company if there were real problems. They
would have had no choice but to accept a lot of the blame and there
would have been plenty to go around (Gore would have been finished).
The best thing the government did do was to paint all those rosy
forecasts of no problems which kept the general public calm. I was
quite (pleasantly) surprised that the public remained so calm and
that the rollover went so seemingly well. I do not believe that this
was over-hyped or that it was money poorly spent. If nothing else, it
kept the public from panicking and did clean up some really old code!

Regards,

Michael Levine
Premier Data Services, Inc.

P.S. I though Al Gore caused the problem in the first place!

>Hey All,
>
>Listening on TV to the government spokesman for Y2K, he seems to be
>claiming that the reason that the Y2K rollover went so well was due to
>the massive, well coordinated government effort. I think he said
>something about a Y2K office or something. Well I'm sure they spent lots
>of Tax Dollars but it's funny, I don't remember seeing anybody from the
>government here to help me fix code. And all this time I thought it was
>our company management that was making sure things got done, I had no
>idea it was really Uncle Sam that was responsible for what we had to
>accomplish ! To give him credit he did mention the thousands of us
>peons here in the trenches, but it seems they are still claiming lots of
>credit for themselves. Would they have claimed such a large share of the
>blame if it all had hit the fan ?
>
>I fully expect to hear soon that Al Gore personally invented the Y2K
>fixes. That they were his Al-Gore-ithms.
>
>Charles Stansell
>http://www.geocities.com/~cicsprog
>
>________________________________________________________________
>YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
>Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
>Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit:
>http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
>
>
>


>
>



Ed Long

Re: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory
(in response to Mike_Levine@TEKHELP.NET)
Now thats what I call a "BUSH" comment!!

The guy indicts himself if he thinks that Y2K is over. There is after all
the little matter of 2/29/00 and I'm not sure but I think we have only run 1
business day in the new millenium. He clearly doesn't remember the Heidi
game of long ago that cost an NBC TV programmer his job. N.Y. Jets score 21
points in last 3 minutes to defeat Oakland but no one in country sees the
fabulous finish because it was 7Pm in the Eastern time zone and he switched
the network to Heidi, the cartoon classic with 3minutes and 30 seconds left
in the game.

Y2K isn't really over until at least April 2 (Quarterly statements etc).
Till then, as Mary Poppins said, Well begun is half done. Till then any
declarations of victory are a tad premature.

Regarding Charles' observation about management, yes they deserve some of
the credit but I believe the thousands of ordinary shmos who coded, tested,
fixed, and tested again for the last 3 years are the real champions of this
event. Just as we will be the chumps if things don't go well.

Now for my DB2 question.

Does anyone have any experience with large scale (> 100 very active and very
concurrent batch or online users) DB2 Connect usage? Has the product met
your needs?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Charles Stansell [SMTP:[login to unmask email]
> Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 1:19 PM
> To: [login to unmask email]
> Subject: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory
>
> Hey All,
>
> Listening on TV to the government spokesman for Y2K, he seems to be
> claiming that the reason that the Y2K rollover went so well was due to
> the massive, well coordinated government effort. I think he said
> something about a Y2K office or something. Well I'm sure they spent lots
> of Tax Dollars but it's funny, I don't remember seeing anybody from the
> government here to help me fix code. And all this time I thought it was
> our company management that was making sure things got done, I had no
> idea it was really Uncle Sam that was responsible for what we had to
> accomplish ! To give him credit he did mention the thousands of us
> peons here in the trenches, but it seems they are still claiming lots of
> credit for themselves. Would they have claimed such a large share of the
> blame if it all had hit the fan ?
>
> I fully expect to hear soon that Al Gore personally invented the Y2K
> fixes. That they were his Al-Gore-ithms.
>
> Charles Stansell
> http://www.geocities.com/~cicsprog
>
> ________________________________________________________________
> YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
> Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
> Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit:
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
>
>
>
>
>



Lynne Flatley

Re: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory
(in response to Ed Long)
Hi Ed!

Yes, DB2 Connect is being used in production for one of our apps that has
over 500 users (although the number of actual concurrent users is much
lower). I can put you in touch with our DB2 Connect guy...

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Long, Ed [SMTP:[login to unmask email]
> Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 2:07 PM
> To: [login to unmask email]
> Subject: Re: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory
>
> Now thats what I call a "BUSH" comment!!
>
> The guy indicts himself if he thinks that Y2K is over. There is after all
> the little matter of 2/29/00 and I'm not sure but I think we have only run
> 1
> business day in the new millenium. He clearly doesn't remember the Heidi
> game of long ago that cost an NBC TV programmer his job. N.Y. Jets score
> 21
> points in last 3 minutes to defeat Oakland but no one in country sees the
> fabulous finish because it was 7Pm in the Eastern time zone and he
> switched
> the network to Heidi, the cartoon classic with 3minutes and 30 seconds
> left
> in the game.
>
> Y2K isn't really over until at least April 2 (Quarterly statements etc).
> Till then, as Mary Poppins said, Well begun is half done. Till then any
> declarations of victory are a tad premature.
>
> Regarding Charles' observation about management, yes they deserve some of
> the credit but I believe the thousands of ordinary shmos who coded,
> tested,
> fixed, and tested again for the last 3 years are the real champions of
> this
> event. Just as we will be the chumps if things don't go well.
>
> Now for my DB2 question.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with large scale (> 100 very active and
> very
> concurrent batch or online users) DB2 Connect usage? Has the product met
> your needs?
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Charles Stansell [SMTP:[login to unmask email]
> > Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 1:19 PM
> > To: [login to unmask email]
> > Subject: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory
> >
> > Hey All,
> >
> > Listening on TV to the government spokesman for Y2K, he seems to be
> > claiming that the reason that the Y2K rollover went so well was due to
> > the massive, well coordinated government effort. I think he said
> > something about a Y2K office or something. Well I'm sure they spent
> lots
> > of Tax Dollars but it's funny, I don't remember seeing anybody from the
> > government here to help me fix code. And all this time I thought it
> was
> > our company management that was making sure things got done, I had no
> > idea it was really Uncle Sam that was responsible for what we had to
> > accomplish ! To give him credit he did mention the thousands of us
> > peons here in the trenches, but it seems they are still claiming lots of
> > credit for themselves. Would they have claimed such a large share of
> the
> > blame if it all had hit the fan ?
> >
> > I fully expect to hear soon that Al Gore personally invented the Y2K
> > fixes. That they were his Al-Gore-ithms.
> >
> > Charles Stansell
> > http://www.geocities.com/~cicsprog
> >
> > ________________________________________________________________
> > YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
> > Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
> > Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit:
> > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
> >
> >
> >
> > the DB2-L webpage at http://www.ryci.com/db2-l. The owners of the list
> can
> >
>
>
>
>
>



John O'Conner

Re: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory
(in response to Lynne Flatley)
We were lucky. The fortunes of time were on our side. In the late '80s we
converted our largest application from Wang super minicomputers to the
mainframe. Since the code was basically rewritten (and the database
redesigned), we added century to all our dates. About five years ago we
migrated our other large application from ADABAS to DB2. We added century
to all our dates at that time. The rest of our code was easily changed for
Y2K in the last couple of years. Months ago we started a new LPAR at
12/31/1999 and watched it roll over to 01/01/2000 (and 02/29/2000, etc).
It's still running, no problems. This last Friday we were pretty calm about
Y2K. The people who are usually on call were on call. We didn't do
anything special for the new year. We run full image copies on Fridays and
in fact there were a couple that started before midnight that completed
after midnight. We were probably a little overconfident, but our Y2K
testing was thorough and produced few surprises.

I applaud those of you who weren't so lucky, who really had a lot of work to
do and apparently did it so well. I think that the over hype of the media
actually served a useful purpose. It put people on notice that if they
weren't prepared for Y2K, then everyone else would know it. Essential
services (like electricity, banking, telephone, etc.) knew that they had to
be absolutely prepared, and apparently they were prepared.

Now, we can look forward to all those nuisance things that are sure to crop
here and there (funny/wrong dates on bills, wrong day of the week,
miscalculated amounts on bills, etc).

If this many people can get together on this large of a project and have
this much success, why can't we get a robot to talk to us from Mars?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ray H Janes [mailto:[login to unmask email]
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 10:28 AM
To: [login to unmask email]
Subject: Re: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory


AMEN!
My management thought I was the nut when in 1988 I showed a 15 year Gas
Lease
was not calculated correctly!




Charles Stansell <[login to unmask email]> on 01/04/2000 12:18:57 PM

Please respond to DB2 Data Base Discussion List <[login to unmask email]>

To: [login to unmask email]
cc: (bcc: Ray H Janes/C/Dallas/Mobil-Notes)
Subject: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory





Hey All,

Listening on TV to the government spokesman for Y2K, he seems to be
claiming that the reason that the Y2K rollover went so well was due to
the massive, well coordinated government effort. I think he said
something about a Y2K office or something. Well I'm sure they spent lots
of Tax Dollars but it's funny, I don't remember seeing anybody from the
government here to help me fix code. And all this time I thought it was
our company management that was making sure things got done, I had no
idea it was really Uncle Sam that was responsible for what we had to
accomplish ! To give him credit he did mention the thousands of us
peons here in the trenches, but it seems they are still claiming lots of
credit for themselves. Would they have claimed such a large share of the
blame if it all had hit the fan ?

I fully expect to hear soon that Al Gore personally invented the Y2K
fixes. That they were his Al-Gore-ithms.

Charles Stansell
http://www.geocities.com/~cicsprog

________________________________________________________________
YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit:
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.













Charles Stansell

Re: FW: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory
(in response to John O'Conner)
Craig ([login to unmask email]),

I knew there would be at least one person who would whine about
cross-posting or spam. But I participate in all three newsgroups (DB2,
CICS and MVS) and a great deal of effort was put forth by people in all
three of these areas, as well as others. I think it was a travesty of
some to claim the government coordination was more than just trivial in
the outcome of the Y2K efforts. I believe the combined efforts of the
people in these newsgroups was very significant. I thought the post was
appropriate. It was also intended to be humorous. I'm sorry if you
didn't see it that way, and appolgize if something in it offended you.
If you are familiar with my posts, they have historically been very 'on
topic' and aimed at helping others.

Regards,
Charles Stansell

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000 13:34:54 -0500 "Snoeyenbos, Craig"
<[login to unmask email]> writes:
> I can get all the lightweight political flamage I want on USENET.
> (The "crosspost" to CICS-L only adds to the inappropriate flavor)
> Please reserve DB2-L (and CICS-L) for more on-topic, or at least
> funny,
> posts
>
> Craig
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Charles Stansell [mailto:[login to unmask email]
> Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 1:19 PM
> To: [login to unmask email]
> Subject: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory
>
>
> Hey All,
>
> Listening on TV to the government spokesman for Y2K, he seems to be
> claiming that the reason that the Y2K rollover went so well was due
> to
> the massive, well coordinated government effort. I think he said
> something about a Y2K office or something. Well I'm sure they spent
> lots
> of Tax Dollars but it's funny, I don't remember seeing anybody from
> the
> government here to help me fix code. And all this time I thought
> it was
> our company management that was making sure things got done, I had
> no
> idea it was really Uncle Sam that was responsible for what we had to
> accomplish ! To give him credit he did mention the thousands of us
> peons here in the trenches, but it seems they are still claiming
> lots of
> credit for themselves. Would they have claimed such a large share
> of the
> blame if it all had hit the fan ?
>
> I fully expect to hear soon that Al Gore personally invented the
> Y2K
> fixes. That they were his Al-Gore-ithms.
>
> Charles Stansell
> http://www.geocities.com/~cicsprog


________________________________________________________________
YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit:
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.



Stephen Whittaker

Re: FW: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory
(in response to Charles Stansell)
Just my 2cents worth but I thought it was humerous...
After all the hours we put into this Y2K boogy-man its good to get a little
humor.
Now on to bigger and better Y3K issues!! :-)
It will be interesting to see what the next latest and greatest challenge
will be....

--Steve....

Steve Whittaker
DB2/DBA Carolina Power & Light
Mail stop: CPB 17A4 - Raleigh
Email: [login to unmask email]
Phone: (919) 546-7267


-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Stansell [mailto:[login to unmask email]
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 2:57 PM
To: [login to unmask email]
Subject: Re: FW: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory


Craig ([login to unmask email]),

I knew there would be at least one person who would whine about
cross-posting or spam. But I participate in all three newsgroups (DB2,
CICS and MVS) and a great deal of effort was put forth by people in all
three of these areas, as well as others. I think it was a travesty of
some to claim the government coordination was more than just trivial in
the outcome of the Y2K efforts. I believe the combined efforts of the
people in these newsgroups was very significant. I thought the post was
appropriate. It was also intended to be humorous. I'm sorry if you
didn't see it that way, and appolgize if something in it offended you.
If you are familiar with my posts, they have historically been very 'on
topic' and aimed at helping others.

Regards,
Charles Stansell

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000 13:34:54 -0500 "Snoeyenbos, Craig"
<[login to unmask email]> writes:
> I can get all the lightweight political flamage I want on USENET.
> (The "crosspost" to CICS-L only adds to the inappropriate flavor)
> Please reserve DB2-L (and CICS-L) for more on-topic, or at least
> funny,
> posts
>
> Craig
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Charles Stansell [mailto:[login to unmask email]
> Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 1:19 PM
> To: [login to unmask email]
> Subject: Government Claims Credit for Y2K Victory
>
>
> Hey All,
>
> Listening on TV to the government spokesman for Y2K, he seems to be
> claiming that the reason that the Y2K rollover went so well was due
> to
> the massive, well coordinated government effort. I think he said
> something about a Y2K office or something. Well I'm sure they spent
> lots
> of Tax Dollars but it's funny, I don't remember seeing anybody from
> the
> government here to help me fix code. And all this time I thought
> it was
> our company management that was making sure things got done, I had
> no
> idea it was really Uncle Sam that was responsible for what we had to
> accomplish ! To give him credit he did mention the thousands of us
> peons here in the trenches, but it seems they are still claiming
> lots of
> credit for themselves. Would they have claimed such a large share
> of the
> blame if it all had hit the fan ?
>
> I fully expect to hear soon that Al Gore personally invented the
> Y2K
> fixes. That they were his Al-Gore-ithms.
>
> Charles Stansell
> http://www.geocities.com/~cicsprog


________________________________________________________________
YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET!
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit:
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.