DB2 DATA SHARING DLI BATCH GROUP ATTACH

[login to unmask email]

DB2 DATA SHARING DLI BATCH GROUP ATTACH
I am posting this to the list to see if there are any companies out there
that have the same need as ours, and if so, I would like you to inform your
IBM rep. Here is the
scenario.

In DB2 data sharing, the Group Attach allows you to provide a Group Name
instead of the DB2 subsystem name in a batch job. The job could connect
to any member of the 'group', so you can run the job on any CPU that has a
member of the group. The
Capacity Planning people love this for workload balancing. Problem now is,
the Group
Attach does not work for DLI Batch jobs, of which we have many (we still
have lots of IMS databases that contain data we need). There is a Request
out to IBM to provide
the Group Attach for DLI that has been open for a couple years. I recently
inquired as to the status of this request, and found that it has been
'accepted', but needs to be delivered on a release boundry. At this time
they have no commitment as to the release on which they will deliver it.

Not having Group Attach for DLI has prohibited my shop from going into Data
Sharing. I
know there are others out there with this same need. I did not initiate
the request with IBM, but I added my companies name to the list of
interested companies. If there are others out there that want the same
functionality, I would encourage you to contact your
IBM rep about request REQ00056946_8, and say you are also interested. I
would have
to believe that if we get more companies show interest, it would help
ensure it gets released sooner.

Thanks!

Jodi Murawski
DBA
M&I Data Services



Chris Munson

DB2 DATA SHARING DLI BATCH GROUP ATTACH
(in response to Jodi.Murawski@MIDATA.COM)
Jodi, While it is true that DB2 does not provide group attach support for
DL/I batch in mainline code, a usermod is and has been available for some
time. Tom Brooks in DB2 Level 2 is the current coordinator of this
usermod. The reason that we don't have a full blown PTF is that there may
be a slight behavior difference before/after the code is applied. This
behavior difference is minor and does not apply to everyone but we did not
feel it wise to implement at the time with this difference. Instead we did
2 things, first we have the usermod available (with the caveat) to anyone
who wants it. Second we decided to make the necessary changes such that
there would be no behavior difference with the code applied. The design
for the group attach enhancements is complete and we are working on the
code now. While I can't commit a date we are targeting the next version.
I'm sorry the word hasn't gotten out more but we have been trying to tell
folks at the tech conference and at IDUG. If this stopped you from
implementing data sharing I would get the usermod and reconsider data
sharing.

Chris Munson
DB2 Development, Santa Teresa Laboratory


I am posting this to the list to see if there are any companies out there
that have the same need as ours, and if so, I would like you to inform your
IBM rep. Here is the
scenario.

In DB2 data sharing, the Group Attach allows you to provide a Group Name
instead of the DB2 subsystem name in a batch job. The job could connect
to any member of the 'group', so you can run the job on any CPU that has a
member of the group. The
Capacity Planning people love this for workload balancing. Problem now is,
the Group
Attach does not work for DLI Batch jobs, of which we have many (we still
have lots of IMS databases that contain data we need). There is a Request
out to IBM to provide
the Group Attach for DLI that has been open for a couple years. I recently
inquired as to the status of this request, and found that it has been
'accepted', but needs to be delivered on a release boundry. At this time
they have no commitment as to the release on which they will deliver it.

Not having Group Attach for DLI has prohibited my shop from going into Data
Sharing. I
know there are others out there with this same need. I did not initiate
the request with IBM, but I added my companies name to the list of
interested companies. If there are others out there that want the same
functionality, I would encourage you to contact your
IBM rep about request REQ00056946_8, and say you are also interested. I
would have
to believe that if we get more companies show interest, it would help
ensure it gets released sooner.

Thanks!

Jodi Murawski
DBA
M&I Data Services



[login to unmask email]

Re: DB2 DATA SHARING DLI BATCH GROUP ATTACH
(in response to Chris Munson)
Hi Chris,

Will something similar be available for CICS RCT group attach support?

Thanks,
Michael Levine
Premier Data Services, Inc.



>Jodi, While it is true that DB2 does not provide group attach support for
>DL/I batch in mainline code, a usermod is and has been available for some
>time. Tom Brooks in DB2 Level 2 is the current coordinator of this
>usermod. The reason that we don't have a full blown PTF is that there may
>be a slight behavior difference before/after the code is applied. This
>behavior difference is minor and does not apply to everyone but we did not
>feel it wise to implement at the time with this difference. Instead we did
>2 things, first we have the usermod available (with the caveat) to anyone
>who wants it. Second we decided to make the necessary changes such that
>there would be no behavior difference with the code applied. The design
>for the group attach enhancements is complete and we are working on the
>code now. While I can't commit a date we are targeting the next version.
>I'm sorry the word hasn't gotten out more but we have been trying to tell
>folks at the tech conference and at IDUG. If this stopped you from
>implementing data sharing I would get the usermod and reconsider data
>sharing.
>
>Chris Munson
>DB2 Development, Santa Teresa Laboratory
>
>
>I am posting this to the list to see if there are any companies out there
>that have the same need as ours, and if so, I would like you to inform your
>IBM rep. Here is the
>scenario.
>
>In DB2 data sharing, the Group Attach allows you to provide a Group Name
>instead of the DB2 subsystem name in a batch job. The job could connect
>to any member of the 'group', so you can run the job on any CPU that has a
>member of the group. The
>Capacity Planning people love this for workload balancing. Problem now is,
>the Group
>Attach does not work for DLI Batch jobs, of which we have many (we still
>have lots of IMS databases that contain data we need). There is a Request
>out to IBM to provide
>the Group Attach for DLI that has been open for a couple years. I recently
>inquired as to the status of this request, and found that it has been
>'accepted', but needs to be delivered on a release boundry. At this time
>they have no commitment as to the release on which they will deliver it.
>
>Not having Group Attach for DLI has prohibited my shop from going into Data
>Sharing. I
>know there are others out there with this same need. I did not initiate
>the request with IBM, but I added my companies name to the list of
>interested companies. If there are others out there that want the same
>functionality, I would encourage you to contact your
>IBM rep about request REQ00056946_8, and say you are also interested. I
>would have
>to believe that if we get more companies show interest, it would help
>ensure it gets released sooner.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Jodi Murawski
>DBA
>M&I Data Services
>
>
>


>
>



Chris Munson

DB2 DATA SHARING DLI BATCH GROUP ATTACH
(in response to Mike_Levine@TEKHELP.NET)
Michael, The CICS support is a little more complicated because of
in-doubts. This has been on our plate as well and we recognize it as a
requirement and are working on it. Presently there is no, nor will there
be a usermod for CICS before we announce our CICS group attach support.
The only other thing I would mention is that the CICS attach is now owned
by CICS at Hursley so while we need to provide some code to allow CICS
group attach, they have changes on their end as well and are working on
something. Sorry if I am being vague but after I sent my first note Roger
Miller yelled at me for leaking stuff - just kidding Roger :-)

Chris Munson
DB2 Development, Santa Teresa Laboratory

Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 11:40:28 -0500
From: [login to unmask email]
Subject: Re: DB2 DATA SHARING DLI BATCH GROUP ATTACH

Hi Chris,

Will something similar be available for CICS RCT group attach support?

Thanks,
Michael Levine
Premier Data Services, Inc.



Steven Camitta

Re: DB2 DATA SHARING DLI BATCH GROUP ATTACH
(in response to Chris Munson)
Jodi,

We implemented a front end step within our DB2-DLI proc that takes the SSN
(passed by parm field) and looks it up in a control stmt translation table.
The translate pgm first obtains the host name where it's running. It then
takes the SSN passed thru parm & host name and searches for a translation.
Group name is always translated to SSID. SSIDs are also coded in the table
so that they can be used as well. They simply translate to themselves.

The effect is to allow group names to be specified within JCL, but when DLI
is invoked, a formatted control stmt magically appears for IMS's DDITV02 DD
that has the correct SSN.

It's a workaround, but hey, who knows when the problem will be fixed.

Regards,
Steve



-----Original Message-----
From: [login to unmask email] [mailto:[login to unmask email]
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2000 6:52 PM
To: [login to unmask email]
Subject: DB2 DATA SHARING DLI BATCH GROUP ATTACH


I am posting this to the list to see if there are any companies out there
that have the same need as ours, and if so, I would like you to inform your
IBM rep. Here is the
scenario.

In DB2 data sharing, the Group Attach allows you to provide a Group Name
instead of the DB2 subsystem name in a batch job. The job could connect
to any member of the 'group', so you can run the job on any CPU that has a
member of the group. The
Capacity Planning people love this for workload balancing. Problem now is,
the Group
Attach does not work for DLI Batch jobs, of which we have many (we still
have lots of IMS databases that contain data we need). There is a Request
out to IBM to provide
the Group Attach for DLI that has been open for a couple years. I recently
inquired as to the status of this request, and found that it has been
'accepted', but needs to be delivered on a release boundry. At this time
they have no commitment as to the release on which they will deliver it.

Not having Group Attach for DLI has prohibited my shop from going into Data
Sharing. I
know there are others out there with this same need. I did not initiate
the request with IBM, but I added my companies name to the list of
interested companies. If there are others out there that want the same
functionality, I would encourage you to contact your
IBM rep about request REQ00056946_8, and say you are also interested. I
would have
to believe that if we get more companies show interest, it would help
ensure it gets released sooner.

Thanks!

Jodi Murawski
DBA
M&I Data Services








Mike Turner

Re: DB2 DATA SHARING DLI BATCH GROUP ATTACH
(in response to Steven Camitta)
Chris

Don't you get problems with in-doubts with the IMS attach also? Both CICS
and IMS attaches use two-phase commit protocol. I guess if only DB2 data is
updated then there is no problem to manage, but if there are non-DB2
updates also (DL/1 or VSAM) then re-connect after failure to a different
DB2 member would require that member to commit or rollback a thread from
the original DB2 member. (If all I hear back is a muffled 'no comment' I
will assume Roger has fitted you with a gag!).

Regards
Mike Turner
Email: [login to unmask email]
Home Page: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/michael_turner


Message text written by DB2 Data Base Discussion List
>Michael, The CICS support is a little more complicated because of
in-doubts. This has been on our plate as well and we recognize it as a
requirement and are working on it. Presently there is no, nor will there
be a usermod for CICS before we announce our CICS group attach support.
The only other thing I would mention is that the CICS attach is now owned
by CICS at Hursley so while we need to provide some code to allow CICS
group attach, they have changes on their end as well and are working on
something. Sorry if I am being vague but after I sent my first note Roger
Miller yelled at me for leaking stuff - just kidding Roger :-)

Chris Munson
DB2 Development, Santa Teresa Laboratory<



[login to unmask email]

Re: DB2 DATA SHARING DLI BATCH GROUP ATTACH
(in response to Mike Turner)
Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions and information on the usermod
that
is available.

Jodi Murawski
DBA
M&I Data Services



Chris Munson

DB2 DATA SHARING DLI BATCH GROUP ATTACH
(in response to Jodi.Murawski@MIDATA.COM)
Mike, While it is true that CICS and IMS use 2 phase commit, DL/I batch
really doesn't. It currently uses the same protocol but one of the main
differences is that DB2 is the coordinator. Furthermore with DL/I batch
there is no coordination with VSAM (or any other resources like MQ). In
this scenario the coordination with IMS updates is a little more
complicated. As you know the definition of an in-doubt is an agent failure
between phase 1 and phase 2 commit. Since we are the coordinator we really
can't be in-doubt because we know what the answer is instead of relying on
the coordinator telling us. Our upcoming group attach enhancements has a
slight change to the IMS attach to make things more 'pure' but with DL/I
batch we really didn't have the same issues as we did with CICS. Hopefully
this wasn't too vague.

Chris Munson
DB2 Development, Santa Teresa Laboratory


Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 04:37:53 -0500
From: Mike Turner <[login to unmask email]>
Subject: Re: DB2 DATA SHARING DLI BATCH GROUP ATTACH

Chris

Don't you get problems with in-doubts with the IMS attach also? Both CICS

and IMS attaches use two-phase commit protocol. I guess if only DB2 data is
updated then there is no problem to manage, but if there are non-DB2
updates also (DL/1 or VSAM) then re-connect after failure to a different
DB2 member would require that member to commit or rollback a thread from
the original DB2 member. (If all I hear back is a muffled 'no comment' I
will assume Roger has fitted you with a gag!).

Regards
Mike Turner
Email: [login to unmask email]



Mike Turner

Re: DB2 DATA SHARING DLI BATCH GROUP ATTACH
(in response to Chris Munson)
Chris

Thanks for the informative feedback. Not at all vague!


Regards
Mike Turner
Email: [login to unmask email]
Home Page: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/michael_turner


Message text written by DB2 Data Base Discussion List
>Mike, While it is true that CICS and IMS use 2 phase commit, DL/I batch
really doesn't. It currently uses the same protocol but one of the main
differences is that DB2 is the coordinator. Furthermore with DL/I batch
there is no coordination with VSAM (or any other resources like MQ). In
this scenario the coordination with IMS updates is a little more
complicated. As you know the definition of an in-doubt is an agent failure
between phase 1 and phase 2 commit. Since we are the coordinator we really
can't be in-doubt because we know what the answer is instead of relying on
the coordinator telling us. Our upcoming group attach enhancements has a
slight change to the IMS attach to make things more 'pure' but with DL/I
batch we really didn't have the same issues as we did with CICS. Hopefully
this wasn't too vague.

Chris Munson
DB2 Development, Santa Teresa Laboratory<