performance problem with VSE-CICS transactions to DB2 UDB 8.2 on zLinux

Pohlen Mailinglist

performance problem with VSE-CICS transactions to DB2 UDB 8.2 on zLinux
Hi listers,

my colleague told me that his customer has migrated from DB2/VM to DB2 UDB 8.2 on zLinux. The connection is established using DRDA. The batch perfomance is good, but online suffers. My colleague has figured out that if he does a connect to the database and keeps it open, online response time is good. It seems that the cics transaction(s) closes the connection completely and DB2 flushes all buffers to disk, if there is no remaining open connection. The next transaction start must apparently read all the data from disk again. If there is an open connection kept as mentioned, DB2 does not do that. Is there any setting which can be customized to change the behaviour?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards

Franz Josef Pohlen

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to the IDUG DB2-L list. To unsubscribe, go to the archives and home page at http://www.idugdb2-l.org/archives/db2-l.html. From that page select "Join or Leave the list". The IDUG DB2-L FAQ is at http://www.idugdb2-l.org. The IDUG List Admins can be reached at [login to unmask email] Find out the latest on IDUG conferences at http://conferences.idug.org/index.cfm

James Campbell

Re: performance problem with VSE-CICS transactions to DB2 UDB 8.2 on zLinux
(in response to Pohlen Mailinglist)
ACTIVATE DATABASE.

James Campbell

On 14 Dec 2006 at 11:55, Pohlen (Mailinglist) wrote:

>
> Hi listers,
>
> my colleague told me that his customer has migrated from DB2/VM to DB2 UDB 8.2 on zLinux.
> The connection is established using DRDA. The batch perfomance is good, but online suffers.
> My colleague has figured out that if he does a connect to the database and keeps it open, online
> response time is good. It seems thatthe cicstransaction(s)closes the connection
> completelyand DB2 flushes all buffersto disk, if there is no remaining open connection. The
> next transaction start must apparently read all the data from disk again. If there is an open
> connection keptas mentioned, DB2 does not do that. Is there any setting which can be
> customized to change the behaviour?
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas.
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
>
> Franz Josef Pohlen

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to the IDUG DB2-L list. To unsubscribe, go to the archives and home page at http://www.idugdb2-l.org/archives/db2-l.html. From that page select "Join or Leave the list". The IDUG DB2-L FAQ is at http://www.idugdb2-l.org. The IDUG List Admins can be reached at [login to unmask email] Find out the latest on IDUG conferences at http://conferences.idug.org/index.cfm

Pohlen Mailinglist

Re: performance problem with VSE-CICS transactions to DB2 UDB 8.2 on zLinux
(in response to James Campbell)
thank you James. My colleague told me, it has worked.

Franz Josef
----- Original Message -----
From: "James Campbell" <[login to unmask email]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.db2-l
To: <[login to unmask email]>
Sent: Friday, December 15, 2006 12:25 AM
Subject: Re: [DB2-L] performance problem with VSE-CICS transactions to DB2
UDB 8.2 on zLinux


ACTIVATE DATABASE.

James Campbell

On 14 Dec 2006 at 11:55, Pohlen (Mailinglist) wrote:

>
> Hi listers,
>
> my colleague told me that his customer has migrated from DB2/VM to DB2 UDB
8.2 on zLinux.
> The connection is established using DRDA. The batch perfomance is good,
but online suffers.
> My colleague has figured out that if he does a connect to the database and
keeps it open, online
> response time is good. It seems thatthe cicstransaction(s)closes the
connection
> completelyand DB2 flushes all buffersto disk, if there is no remaining
open connection. The
> next transaction start must apparently read all the data from disk again.
If there is an open
> connection keptas mentioned, DB2 does not do that. Is there any setting
which can be
> customized to change the behaviour?
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas.
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
>
> Franz Josef Pohlen

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
Welcome to the IDUG DB2-L list. To unsubscribe, go to the archives and home
page at http://www.idugdb2-l.org/archives/db2-l.html. From that page select
"Join or Leave the list". The IDUG DB2-L FAQ is at http://www.idugdb2-l.org.
The IDUG List Admins can be reached at [login to unmask email] Find
out the latest on IDUG conferences at http://conferences.idug.org/index.cfm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to the IDUG DB2-L list. To unsubscribe, go to the archives and home page at http://www.idugdb2-l.org/archives/db2-l.html. From that page select "Join or Leave the list". The IDUG DB2-L FAQ is at http://www.idugdb2-l.org. The IDUG List Admins can be reached at [login to unmask email] Find out the latest on IDUG conferences at http://conferences.idug.org/index.cfm