DB2 V4 Lifespan question

Tony Babonas

DB2 V4 Lifespan question
Has IBM annnounced a date at which support for DB2 version 4 will stop? We
are just now planning an upgrade to V5/V6.

Is an upgrade from V4 to V6 (directly) possible?



Roger Miller

Re: DB2 V4 Lifespan question
(in response to Tony Babonas)
At this point, there is no announced date for end of V4 support. My guess
for the
end of support would be some time in 2001, roughly 6 years of general
availability.
Most customers have already migrated to V5.

From V4, the only direct migration is to V5, and you can only migrate to V6
from V5,
so there is not upgrade directly from V4 to V6.

Roger


Tony Babonas <[login to unmask email]>@RYCI.COM> on 12/13/99 03:45:54 PM

Please respond to DB2 Data Base Discussion List <[login to unmask email]>

Sent by: DB2 Data Base Discussion List <[login to unmask email]>


To: [login to unmask email]
cc:
Subject: DB2 V4 Lifespan question



Has IBM annnounced a date at which support for DB2 version 4 will stop? We
are just now planning an upgrade to V5/V6.

Is an upgrade from V4 to V6 (directly) possible?








Phil Grainger

Re: DB2 V4 Lifespan question
(in response to Roger Miller)
Although true migration from V4 to V6 is not possible, it IS possible to
install a new V6 subsystem and migrate the contents of a V4 subsystem to it.
This is not as bad as it sounds as there are third-party tools to help with
migration of objects WITHOUT unloading and reloading all the data.

If anyone wants more information, they can drop me an eMail off the list

Phil Grainger
Director DB2 Operations, Europe
Computer Associates International


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Roger Miller [SMTP:[login to unmask email]
> Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 1999 1:20 AM
> To: [login to unmask email]
> Subject: Re: DB2 V4 Lifespan question
>
> At this point, there is no announced date for end of V4 support. My guess
> for the
> end of support would be some time in 2001, roughly 6 years of general
> availability.
> Most customers have already migrated to V5.
>
> From V4, the only direct migration is to V5, and you can only migrate to
> V6
> from V5,
> so there is not upgrade directly from V4 to V6.
>
> Roger
>
>
> Tony Babonas <[login to unmask email]>@RYCI.COM> on 12/13/99 03:45:54 PM
>
> Please respond to DB2 Data Base Discussion List <[login to unmask email]>
>
> Sent by: DB2 Data Base Discussion List <[login to unmask email]>
>
>
> To: [login to unmask email]
> cc:
> Subject: DB2 V4 Lifespan question
>
>
>
> Has IBM annnounced a date at which support for DB2 version 4 will stop?
> We
> are just now planning an upgrade to V5/V6.
>
> Is an upgrade from V4 to V6 (directly) possible?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>



[login to unmask email]

Re: DB2 V4 Lifespan question
(in response to Phil Grainger)
tony,

you can do v4->v5->v6 but you cannot then fall back to v4.

good luck,

steve





Tony Babonas <[login to unmask email]> on 12/13/99 06:45:54 PM

Please respond to DB2 Data Base Discussion List <[login to unmask email]>

To: [login to unmask email]
cc:
Subject: DB2 V4 Lifespan question


Has IBM annnounced a date at which support for DB2 version 4 will stop? We
are just now planning an upgrade to V5/V6.

Is an upgrade from V4 to V6 (directly) possible?








craig patton

Re: DB2 V4 Lifespan question
(in response to evans036@MC.DUKE.EDU)
Tony,
It is possible to skip V5 when going to V6 from V4. Ca/Platinum has a tool
(I believe it is called RC/MERGER) that can do this. I haven't gone from V4
to V6 with the tool, but I have gone from
V3 to V5, skipping V4. IT is VERY fast and relatively easy to set up.

HTH,
Craig Patton
DB2 DBA - Ex-Platinum


>From: [login to unmask email]
>Reply-To: DB2 Data Base Discussion List <[login to unmask email]>
>To: [login to unmask email]
>Subject: Re: DB2 V4 Lifespan question
>Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:23:48 -0500
>
>tony,
>
>you can do v4->v5->v6 but you cannot then fall back to v4.
>
>good luck,
>
>steve
>
>
>
>
>
>Tony Babonas <[login to unmask email]> on 12/13/99 06:45:54 PM
>
>Please respond to DB2 Data Base Discussion List <[login to unmask email]>
>
>To: [login to unmask email]
>cc:
>Subject: DB2 V4 Lifespan question
>
>
>Has IBM annnounced a date at which support for DB2 version 4 will stop? We
>are just now planning an upgrade to V5/V6.
>
>Is an upgrade from V4 to V6 (directly) possible?
>
>
>
>the
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com



Joseph Burns

Re: DB2 V4 Lifespan question
(in response to craig patton)
We used the RC/MERGER tool about a year ago, and it was a big help.
Our situation came from a company merger where we wanted to merge the
two DB2 shops into a data-sharing enviroment.

We had a datashare running at V5 in one shop, and a non-data sharing
subsystem running at V4 in the other shop. The goal was to add the
non-data share V4 to the V5 datashare.

We originally planned to use the RC/MERGER tool take the data from
the V4 subsystem and go right into the V5 data share. This would
technically work, however we were using a "copy runstats" option
due to the size of the tables. And between V4 & V5, there are
some differences in the stats columns that would not be "copied"
correctly.

So we did a standard migration of the non-data share to V5 and then
ran a complete set of runstats.

Then the next week, we used RC/MERGER to move V5 (non-ds) into the
datashare (using the "copy runstats" option as both systems were now
at V5). The advantage of this was that we could let the stats job
run the week before, thereby reducing the actual outage during the
subsystem merger.

RC/MERGER was also able to copy the datasets, leaving the original
non-datasharing datasets in place. So the fallback plan was to
just start up the non-datasharing system and run like normal.

The migration went quite smoothly and we had relatively few
problems.

Joe Burns
Database Services
Highmark BC/BS

All opinions are strictly my own and do not reflect those of my employer.












craig patton <[login to unmask email]> on 12/14/99 10:00:22 AM

Please respond to DB2 Data Base Discussion List <[login to unmask email]>

To: [login to unmask email]
cc: (bcc: Joseph Burns/ISG/CORP/Highmark)
Subject: Re: DB2 V4 Lifespan question




Tony,
It is possible to skip V5 when going to V6 from V4. Ca/Platinum has a tool
(I believe it is called RC/MERGER) that can do this. I haven't gone from V4
to V6 with the tool, but I have gone from
V3 to V5, skipping V4. IT is VERY fast and relatively easy to set up.

HTH,
Craig Patton
DB2 DBA - Ex-Platinum


>From: [login to unmask email]
>Reply-To: DB2 Data Base Discussion List <[login to unmask email]>
>To: [login to unmask email]
>Subject: Re: DB2 V4 Lifespan question
>Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:23:48 -0500
>
>tony,
>
>you can do v4->v5->v6 but you cannot then fall back to v4.
>
>good luck,
>
>steve
>
>
>
>
>
>Tony Babonas <[login to unmask email]> on 12/13/99 06:45:54 PM
>
>Please respond to DB2 Data Base Discussion List <[login to unmask email]>
>
>To: [login to unmask email]
>cc:
>Subject: DB2 V4 Lifespan question
>
>
>Has IBM annnounced a date at which support for DB2 version 4 will stop? We
>are just now planning an upgrade to V5/V6.
>
>Is an upgrade from V4 to V6 (directly) possible?
>
>
>
>the
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com