Reorg unload external question

Michael Backes

Reorg unload external question
In running the reorg utility with the unload external option we are
recognizing some serious cpu reduction over dsntiaul(73% reduction) on one
of our midsize databases. we want to use this on one of our larger
databases, however we do not have it set up with one table per tablespace
thus presenting the problem. when using the from table with the unload
external it appears to be ignoring the from table syntax and unloaded every
row from every table. it appears that you must code a when clause, but how
to specify all the rows of the table in the from table syntax?

the real question is whether or not this is a bug/undesirable feature of the
unload external option. can i not just specify 'unload external from table
xxxx.xxxx' and just get all of the rows from that table?

Many thanks to everyone who reponded to the 'what is the fastest unload
process' thread. while we are currently exploring the third party unloads,
we currently do not have any in house. That being the case, the reorg
unload external option, is at least giving us some relief.


Mike Backes
e-mail: [login to unmask email]






Myron Miller

Re: Reorg unload external question
(in response to Michael Backes)
According to IBM support, its working as designed.
Its a "feature". They don't believe that it is a bug
to have to do when clauses for each table and manually
reject every other table in that tablespace.

--- "Backes, Michael" <[login to unmask email]>
wrote:
> In running the reorg utility with the unload
> external option we are
> recognizing some serious cpu reduction over
> dsntiaul(73% reduction) on one
> of our midsize databases. we want to use this on
> one of our larger
> databases, however we do not have it set up with one
> table per tablespace
> thus presenting the problem. when using the from
> table with the unload
> external it appears to be ignoring the from table
> syntax and unloaded every
> row from every table. it appears that you must code
> a when clause, but how
> to specify all the rows of the table in the from
> table syntax?
>
> the real question is whether or not this is a
> bug/undesirable feature of the
> unload external option. can i not just specify
> 'unload external from table
> xxxx.xxxx' and just get all of the rows from that
> table?
>
> Many thanks to everyone who reponded to the 'what
> is the fastest unload
> process' thread. while we are currently exploring
> the third party unloads,
> we currently do not have any in house. That being
> the case, the reorg
> unload external option, is at least giving us some
> relief.
>
>
> Mike Backes
> e-mail: [login to unmask email]
>
>
>
>
>
> To change your subscription options or to cancel
> your subscription visit the DB2-L webpage at
> http://www.ryci.com/db2-l. The owners of the list
> can
>

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. All in one place.
Yahoo! Shopping: http://shopping.yahoo.com



Manas Dasgupta

Re: Reorg unload external question
(in response to Myron Miller)
REORG TABLESPACE dbname.tsname
UNLOAD EXTERNAL
FROM TABLE qualifier.tbname
works for me.

If it does not work for you, you may want to check the available PTFs.

Thanks,
Manas.



> -----Original Message-----
> From: DB2 Data Base Discussion List [mailto:[login to unmask email]On Behalf Of
> Backes, Michael
> Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 1999 9:09 AM
> To: [login to unmask email]
> Subject: Reorg unload external question
>
>
> In running the reorg utility with the unload external option we are
> recognizing some serious cpu reduction over dsntiaul(73% reduction) on one
> of our midsize databases. we want to use this on one of our larger
> databases, however we do not have it set up with one table per tablespace
> thus presenting the problem. when using the from table with the unload
> external it appears to be ignoring the from table syntax and
> unloaded every
> row from every table. it appears that you must code a when
> clause, but how
> to specify all the rows of the table in the from table syntax?
>
> the real question is whether or not this is a bug/undesirable
> feature of the
> unload external option. can i not just specify 'unload external
> from table
> xxxx.xxxx' and just get all of the rows from that table?
>
> Many thanks to everyone who reponded to the 'what is the fastest unload
> process' thread. while we are currently exploring the third
> party unloads,
> we currently do not have any in house. That being the case, the reorg
> unload external option, is at least giving us some relief.
>
>
> Mike Backes
> e-mail: [login to unmask email]
>
>
>
>
>
> To change your subscription options or to cancel your
> subscription visit the DB2-L webpage at
> http://www.ryci.com/db2-l. The owners of the > list can be reached
> at [login to unmask email]
>



Manas Dasgupta

FW: Reorg unload external question
(in response to Manas Dasgupta)
Whoops!

You're right, Michael...it does unload all the tables in the tablespace. I
was running it against a Peoplesoft tablespace which had only one table
populated (out of about 20...most of them were temp tables and are not
always populated) and it appeared to work because that was the only table
populated.

My apologies for the wrong info.

Thanks,
Manas.

-----Original Message-----
From: Manas Dasgupta [mailto:[login to unmask email]
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 1999 9:50 AM
To: DB2 Data Base Discussion List
Subject: RE: Reorg unload external question


REORG TABLESPACE dbname.tsname
UNLOAD EXTERNAL
FROM TABLE qualifier.tbname
works for me.

If it does not work for you, you may want to check the available PTFs.

Thanks,
Manas.



> -----Original Message-----
> From: DB2 Data Base Discussion List [mailto:[login to unmask email]On Behalf Of
> Backes, Michael
> Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 1999 9:09 AM
> To: [login to unmask email]
> Subject: Reorg unload external question
>
>
> In running the reorg utility with the unload external option we are
> recognizing some serious cpu reduction over dsntiaul(73% reduction) on one
> of our midsize databases. we want to use this on one of our larger
> databases, however we do not have it set up with one table per tablespace
> thus presenting the problem. when using the from table with the unload
> external it appears to be ignoring the from table syntax and
> unloaded every
> row from every table. it appears that you must code a when
> clause, but how
> to specify all the rows of the table in the from table syntax?
>
> the real question is whether or not this is a bug/undesirable
> feature of the
> unload external option. can i not just specify 'unload external
> from table
> xxxx.xxxx' and just get all of the rows from that table?
>
> Many thanks to everyone who reponded to the 'what is the fastest unload
> process' thread. while we are currently exploring the third
> party unloads,
> we currently do not have any in house. That being the case, the reorg
> unload external option, is at least giving us some relief.
>
>
> Mike Backes
> e-mail: [login to unmask email]
>
>
>
>
>
> To change your subscription options or to cancel your
> subscription visit the DB2-L webpage at
> http://www.ryci.com/db2-l. The owners of the > list can be reached
> at [login to unmask email]
>