IBM dashDB for Transactions is a cloud database that fully supports all DB2 LUW drivers and is optimized for transactions and web workloads.
There’s good news from the IBM lab: IBM dashDB for Transactions now offers high availability plans, and offers “pay per use” plans that are billed by-the-day.
Current, the full list of dashDB for Transactions features includes:
- Leverages the latest DB2 engine features, currently v11.1.
- Fully compatible with the DB2 drivers used for Linux, Unix & Windows.
- Instant activation on any “pay per use” plans.
- Billing by-the-day on any “pay per use” plans. This lets people try the plans for, say, a few weeks and only pay for the percent of the month that they used.
- High availability on selected plans.
- On-disk database encryption.
- Automatic daily backups.
- Access to the server using the web console, command line tools, or any other DB2 tool.
An interesting decision was to keep the low-end single server plan (with no high availability). IBM chose to continue offering this plan to encourage experimentation. Since it’s single server, the cost is much lower than the HA plans. This makes it convenient for test environments, proofs of concept, or diagnosing an issue by spinning up a fresh DB2-compatible server on-the-fly.
A few other key features are the built-in SQL editor and the load tool, which uses Aspera high speed transfers and makes importing data easier.
For more information, you can visit the IBM Bluemix Catalog under dashDB or see the YouTube video here.